Monday, June 20, 2011

Week 1: Sudan: Amnesty Wants China to Arrest Al-Bashir Blog


I was feeling the need to type after working with numbers in my pre-calc/trig. class, so I figured, why not put that need to use and finish up my debate homework (well, partially, as I still have my T-chart to work on)? After all, I'm in no mood to solve math problems, even if the next class is precariously close and procrastination is not a good idea.
I began searching up African news and, conveniently, came across a website for news from Africa. Well, that's nice. Saves me time. Click. Scroll. Rather quickly, a particular article catches my eye. Actually, the word "China" did. And then "arrest". Close enough though, right? As I scanned the letters displayed on my computer screen, I fou
nd that what I thought would only be mildly interesting was actually very much similar to a good story. I like stories.
Especially those regarding dragging some diabolical person into a dark, dreary, pungent little
prison, cells all infested with ticks and rats and stagnant air... Everyone likes a bit of dirtiness in a story right? You want that sinful stuff to hook you in and give you the excitement that cann
ot be acquired by n
ormal means.
Finishing up the previous paragraph made me realize that I should start focusing on what my blog is really about. The news isn't just a story, after all. It's something that is really, truly happening, whether near your home or across the seven seas. This time, the something is the threat of 2011's Sudanese president, his scheduled meeting with the Chinese president, and how the Amnesty is attempting to save China.
So, we have Omar Al-Bashir, Hu Jintao, and the Amnesty International. If you didn't know already, Al-Bashir happens to be Sudan's president and Hu China's. Now, you would think that a meeting between such high-ranked people would be, eventually, inevitable
, no? I suppose that is true. If you're famous, you tend to meet other famed people. Therefore, there
should be no disturbance coming from this meeting. Some think otherwise.
Al-Bashir has been issued two arrest warrants by the ICC (International Criminal Court) in 2009 and 2010. There were ten counts in the charge for criminal responsibility. Some are murder, torture, and rape. Like I said, d
iabolical person...and people usually do not want a person like this walking into their country. So, should China welcome the Sudan president? Amnesty gives a flat, str
aight-out "no". They are in fear that Al-Bashir's step into the flourishing country will taint it, that "alleged perpetrators of genocide" would gradually begin China's dark descent. The A
mnesty believes that China must arrest Al-Bashir once he has stepped into their territory. If not, dueo federal ties and laws with the ICC and UN Security Council, China will be perceived as an "accomplice to crimes under national law."
That would be basically the end of the article. I think it was rather interesting. Just imagine. China becoming related to the underground society. If you have a country of strong economy, education, stabilit
y, and you turn bad (horrible choice of word, I know), there's a chance you will become the world's most powerful enemy. I say it would be best to avoid this turn of events, so I agree with the Amnesty. If not, China can choose to take other actions to prevent the conspiracy accomplices from flooding into it.

1 comment: