Thursday, July 14, 2011

Ms. Krissy's Interpretation of Transformers

Well guys, I can finally tell all of you what I thought about the movie. Since those of you who would have seen it already have, and because Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 comes out tonight!!!
Transformers had so many many many American references, in particular to the War on Terror.
Aside from all of the visual symbolism, the burning flags the standing united, the scenes in Washington, D.C., the dialogue of the film clearly reflects the time we are in now.
This is good bad and ugly for many reasons. Popular culture should reflect real life at some point, and yes we are involved in the Middle East and fighting terrorism, etc. BUT, when I take the time to go to the movies, especially a midnight premiere, I want as far away from real life as possible. And despite the special effects, and the fact that the Autobots lost for like 90% of the movie, all I could think about the entire time was how irritated I was at the patriotism in the film.

So to illustrate this, I'll provide you with a few of my favorite quotes:
"Optimus Prime: "You may lose your faith in us, but never in yourselves. From here, the fight will be your own."

"In any war, there are calms between the storms. There will be days when we lose faith. Days when our allies turn against us... but the day will never come when we forsake this planet and its people. For I am Optimus Prime, and I send this message to the universe: We are here. We are home."

Optimus Prime's closing narration

"Years from now they are going to ask you where were you when they took over"

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" Setinel

"Today we take the battle to them"



There are so many more guys... But I am glad all of you enjoyed it without the political messages. :) Ms. Krissy

1 comment:

  1. HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HOLLOWS PART 2 OMGOMGOMG :)

    ReplyDelete