Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Stoning of Soraya M

The stoning of Soraya takes place in an Iranian dessert. Soraya, a married mother with four children, is accused of a crime she never committed. She was blamed for sleeping on another man's bed whom she takes care of when his wife died. Sleeping on another man's bed is a serious offense and it is similar to being a whore. But she was innocent. Two people have to be witnesses in order to accuse someone. In the movie, Soraya's husband, Ali, wants to get rid of her because he wants to marry someone else. He threatens the man Soraya is taking care of, Hashem to say he say her sleeping in his bed. Nowwith two men as witnesses, Hashem and Ali, Soraya is sentenced to stoning. Zahra, Soraya's aunt, loves Soraya very much and promises to tell the world the truth of what goes on in this village. After the stoning, the day later a French journalist happens by and he stops at the village because his radiator is damaged. During his short stay, Zahra quickly goes up to him and tells him of what had just happened yesterday.


The movie's title basically tells what it is about, the stoning of Soraya M. It is based on a true story which above all makes it so emotionally intense. If it was just a movie, it wouldn't be as intense. For me, I was already stunned at the end of the movie but remembering that it happened for hundred of years and ongoing, I felt so scared I couldn't speak. Just thinking that there can be a chance I might be born in that area and I can be accused of something like Soraya. In that area, there is no court. They have a weak way in deciding and doing justice (which scares me all the more). However, the movie is really good despite the fact you have to watch it with subs.

I really liked this movie. It brought out a lot of emotion. In the beginning, I was curious of Zahra's story. Then, I was furious at Ali because of the way he treated Soraya. I kept fuming and at some point in the movie I kept wanting to just go in the movie and slap him silly (Ali in the movie; not the actual actor himself). I was sad that Hashem's wife died, but not for long because when the men were deciding whether Soraya slept on Hashem's bed, I really wanted to help Zahra and Soraya fight for innocence. But when they announced her guilty, I wasn't as shocked because it was inevitable. The ending relieved me of the sadness from the stoning because Zahra managed to get the truth out to the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment